Sunday, May 24, 2020

Saturday Morning Haircut


I hated the iron stool, the black barber's drape,
And especially the buzzing, vibrating clippers
Who seemed to take great delight
Irritating the back of my scalp
Every Saturday morning.

The bare and cold black iron stool
Whined quietly with me,
But after a thousand hours
The hard, flat, iron, stool bit
The bones in my butt.
Dad's voice frowned, “Stay still.”

The clippers were mean,
Laughing at my miserly.
They sent electric charges
All the way down my back,
Down to my right thigh,
Making it want to wiggle off the stool.
Dad's voice smacked my ears, “Stay still!”

I was imprisoned on that iron witness stand,
With a black barber's drape
Covering every part of me,
From my top of my neck down
To the soles of my shoes.

I wished he had gone to work,
On his mailman route,
Delivering bills, and birthday cards.
Instead of making sure
Every single, tiny hair on my head
Was exactly the appropriate length.

I wished that he had never
Gone to barber school.

After the whole morning lay wasted
Along with my hair, on the floor,
My dad would take his silky, soft brush,
And whisk what little hair was left
Off my face, my neck, and the drape.

I wanted to go play,
To get away from the iron stool,
from the clippers.
But no!

Sweep up the hair and put the stool away.
Before you go out to play.”
Dad oiled his clippers,
Cleaned his brush,
Shook out his black barbers drape,
And folded it like he was still in the Navy.

The wind teased and licked
The back of my freshly shorn head
While I swept up my own hair
From around the cold black iron stool
Every Saturday morning.

No comments: