Sunday, May 03, 2020

Eccentric Authenticity


They tell me I’m eccentric.

Well, duh! says paint brush wielding Lola,
The most eccentric of my aunts,
As she paints flowery eyeballs onto skulls.

Why do you care?
They aren't your family
Tell em' to go to hell
If they don't like you.

We are all the same,
I've been taught.
I am a minority,
I've been designated.
I am weird and not like anyone they know,
I've been told.

I can shape shift and almost fit in
Wherever I am,
But I like being around the odd ones,
The weirdos who know
They are fine, delightfully fine
With themselves.

I found them Big Sur
When I hid under a mountain of pillows.
We danced while beating our drums
As the spirits took us to see
Coyotes and Pumas, who embraced us with love.

I know that I have a tribal connection,
And affection for those who vibrate
To the songs in our hearts
To the music that makes us dance
To the rhythms of our lives.

We went skinny-dipping in a mountain lake
And shivered our laughter
As we scrawled poems in the water
Of how Coyote gifted us with imagination.

My soul hears them
Flapping their winged flutes,
Tap dancing on their fluid drums.
Performing their symphony.

I heard one laughing in Sri Lanka,
Wearing an orange robe while perusing my warship.
He invited me to the market,
Where we shared smiles while eating lychee fruit.

When I meet my vibratory siblings
My heart swells as our eyes embrace.
We feel each other’s authenticity
Wrap around our shoulders
Like a heated blanket on a cold winter night.

I found them running nude up Tiger Mountain
Where we ended our race and listened
To the giant fir tell us how beautiful
Our unadorned bodies are.

My aunt Lola paints skirts on skeletons as she says,.
I like you best when you don't try to please me.
I love you when you are being
The best authentically eccentric you
You can be.

No comments: