Thursday, June 11, 2020

Dead Heading a Rose


I count on Denise always 
Being here,
With me, always.
She is my anchor, my playmate, my inspiration.


She is my personal stand-up comedian,
Who laughs so deliciously
That I must take a bite,
And burst into laughter with her.
We feast on silliness

I keep beating down the truth
Of our mortality.
I don't want her to die first.
Yes, I do want her to die first,
So she won't cry,
And bleed a thousand sadnesses,
Drowning in her grief.

I'm being honestly arrogant.
Being true to who I am.
I know how she would feel
Because we are one together.
If she died first,
I would die over, and over, and over.

But for now, I am blessed,
And so is she.
We are a blessing to each other,
With our playful love.
With our loving presence.

She brings me breakfast each morning
While my fingers pull words from my imagination,
and tap the letters on the keyboard.
All the while, the aroma of eggs
Blends with the scent of laptop plastic.

I grind coffee beans in my noisy machine.
I pour the steamy espresso into a cup
Of cream colored sweetened condensed milk,
And ooze my love into her Vietnamese coffee.

I offer it to her with both hands
As I watch her snap off the dead heads
From the climbing pink rose bush
And smile as she tosses them aside
Knowing that they will grow again.


I can't help but to wonder,
If I die first,
Will she still be happy when
She dead heads her roses
Knowing that they will grow again?

1 comment:

SharonA said...

We all dead-head our flowers every day, sometimes not quite knowing what weed, what plant, what flower will shoot up in response. Still, dead-head we must, or we die ourselves in choking overgrowth. Let me breathe!