Monday, May 11, 2020

Shed De Doe by Mushroom Montoya


Jeremy walks into my home office,
I look up, giving our son a receptive smile.
His eyebrows want to do battle
As they roll their shoulders toward each other.

His words punch his frustration,
I couldn't find it.
I already looked in the dictionary.
It makes no sense.

Our son is holding a book
Whose cover displays a bushy, white-haired,
Mustachioed, white man, Samuel Clemmons.
The title is Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

Using his thumb to hold the page
Preventing the conundrum from falling out,
Jeremy opens the book
His eyes stomp on the letters.
It's spelled s h e d d e d o.

My hand opens, making its request.
His feet slog slowly, elephant style.
He points to his discontent, his frustration.

I gag my grin, quieting it for the moment.
"You can't speed read this Southern author.
It took him too long to say each word
In the sweltering heat of Hannibal, Missouri.

Pretend you are a poor, uneducated, Southern boy
Who just walked into a slaves home.
Its winter and bitterly cold.
What does the slave say to you?
Let his words drip out like molasses."

Jeremys eyes ask, what?
A deep inhale, a slow exhaust.
"Shed de doe.
It be code out dayah."
We both burst out laughing.


No comments: