Friday, June 26, 2020

IF is such a terrible word


IF is such a terrible word.
IF possess demons of potential
Who most people are afraid to face.

IF my descendants, my great grandchildren,
And great-great grandchildren,
Read my books and my poems
Will they wonder

What it would be like
For me to talk to them in the flesh,
IF they could time travel to now, here, with me?

IF they read my books, read my poems
Will they consider and ask,
IF I was really that funny?

IF I was really that magical that I could heal
The un-helpable, the uncurable?
IF I was really that tender and sweet
That I was cherished by young and old?

IF they read my books, read my poems
Would they ask
What was it like for me to go to war
To watch young men die?

Would they say to themselves:
I could never do that,
Or could I?

Would they wonder why governments forced people
To kill people, they didn’t know?
And justify it with a three-letter word?
WAR?

IF they read my books, read my poems
Would my descendants ask their friends to
Read my books and my poems, too?

Would they, along with my descendants
Ask what would possess him
To lead an anti-war demonstration
In a war zone, on a Navy warship?

Didn’t he know he could be executed, or imprisoned?
He knew,
And did it anyway.

IF they read my books, read my poems
Would they say,
I hope I can be that brave
IF I were in that situation.

Would they sit and cry with a grieving dad?
Or give up their bus seat for a grey-haired lady?
Would they dance for joy, for the delight of it?

IF they read my books, read my poems,
Will my descendants ask of themselves,
IF I have the opportunity to speak my truth
Will I have his courage, his love, his determination
To do what is right?

IF I am put in his situation, will I be like him?
Will I earn wisdom and grow in love
even IF I know it could be painful?

IF they read my books, read my poems,
Will they follow my lead to do what’s right,
To be courageous, to act, to write,
To love, and to share the laughter of life?

What IF they don’t
Read my books, read my poems?
IF is such a terrible word.



No comments: