Monday, April 20, 2020

Where Are You From?


I've been asked, far more than once,
"Who are you?
Where are you from?
Where did you learn to speak English so well?"

I have been asked these questions
Everywhere I've lived,
Except in the Land of Enchantment.

Well, of course,
I should have known.
It is so obvious that
Since I am from the Land of Enchantment

I might not look like,
Sound like,
Or even smell like
Those who aren't from there.

When I was 7, my new teacher, Mrs. Jones,
Asked me where I was from.
And then she told my classmates that I was
The most handsome boy she'd ever seen.
Wow. I guess she'd never been
To the Land of Enchantment.


We moved to California when I was eight.
My accent was strong, and my skin was dark
But my back was NOT wet,
Even if bigger kids told me it was.


The new Japanese wife, who moved in next door
Told my mom she was happy
To live next to another Japanese family.

When I came aboard my new ship
In Newport, Rhode Island, my shipmates asked,
"Where are you from?"
When I told people that I was from Albuquerque
They asked me if I joined the Navy
To get American citizenship. 

As I sailed around the world,
People in other countries would ask,
"How did you get onto an American ship?"

When I was in Beijing, a local asked,
"What part of China are you originally from?"
 When I flew into Moscow, people asked,
"Are you from Kamchatka?"


When I was at a garden party
For African American architects,
They thought I was an African American architect.
When I was in South Africa the native workers
Waved and yelled out,
"Hey, Rastafarian!"

I have had people ask me if I was German,
Or Italian, Puerto Rican, or Greek.
People have thought that I was Native American.
And that is partially true.

It seems as if so few people
Have been to the Land of Enchantment.
If they had been, they would know why
I seem to have a face
That can sometimes fit in
Almost everywhere, almost.


2 comments:

Not a blogger:) said...

I've had similar experiences where people just can't place me and seem surprised when I tell them of my Mexican heritage,though other Mexican people can always tell. Even if they say nothing - I can see the recognition in their eyes.
I have always hated the wetback expression.��

Sharon A. said...

my face is just what it seems to be - Northern European. But dear Ancestry dot com’s little genetic test speaks tantalizingly of about 1-2% Greek or Middle Eastern forebearers. Is that why I was enthralled by Macedonia as soon as i heard of it? And why I have a longing to see the truly ancient places? Or is it only that I also am ancient in some ways? Is it why I feel at home in a city where nothing at all looks modern? Oaxaca, I will come back, but I have other places to see as well, if only in my sleep.