Monday, April 20, 2020

Denise Is a Blessing


I am blessed that I saw her walk
Into the house with her mother;
Or was it her long beautiful legs
Saying, 'Look at ME!'
Beneath her short, little, blue mini-skirt.

That was on June second 1973.
When I had just returned from the Viet Nam war,
and I would be returning again in a month.

I am blessed by her smile
That always makes me smile
In return.

I am blessed by her touch
When her fingers slide into my hand,
Or apply lotion to my back,
Or when they wipe a grieving tear
Off my cheek.

I am blessed by her blue eyes
Who have a life of their own
Who leak out tears
For other grieving moms,
Or for sadness of any kind.

I am blessed by her blue eyes
Who sparkle and laugh when she wins
Whatever games she creates
on the spur of the moment.

I am blessed by her amazing ability to plan
Trips, meetings, organizational events.
I am blessed by her green chili stew,
And the Corned beef and cabbage
That she delights in making.

I blessed by her enthusiasm in telling
Me stories of her grandfather
Playing the violin for her
When she was a little girl.
Or telling me stories of the day's news,
Or how her sister got a new job.

I am blessed by
How she glows with joyful exuberance
When she succeeds in hiding,
Jumping out and
Scaring the bejeesus out of me.

And best of all,
I am blessed that she is my mate for life,
Who cherishes me as much
As I cherish her.

No comments: