Sunday, October 15, 2017

Flying Note



When I was eight years old
I was too young to be told
Too young to understand
That I was not wanted in this land.
A note carrying rock
From somewhere along our block
Came crashing through our front room window.
It landed on the floor.
I ran to the door
Hoping that I could score
A view of who had thrown it.
No one was there
As I stood and stared
Up and down our block.
I came back in and picked up the rock
And tried very hard to take stock
Of what had just happened.
I read the words on the note
“Get back on your boat.
Go back to where you came from.
You fucking wetbacks aren’t welcome.”
I didn’t know that it meant
Someone on our block was hell bent
To force us to move away
Right now! Not on some future day.
Tears flowed down my mother’s face
As she wrapped me in her protective embrace.
“They do not want us living here.
We have nothing for them to fear?
We are just like them. Don’t they know?
Where do they think that we will go?
We can’t just pack our bags and leave.
O Dios Mio! It’s hard to believe
That people, who we don’t know,
Could throw this rock to make us go.”
My mother stood up and glared
At the note from one who dared.
“We are going stay right here.
We won’t let racism or unfounded fear
Chase us away from our rightful home.
We’ll stand right here and be strong
Because this is where we belong.”

No comments: