Tuesday, August 27, 2013

I am grateful for discussions that challenge how I see things

I am grateful for thought provoking and belief challenging discussions. I try to be open minded. I know that the more I learn, the more I realize that there is so much out there that, not only, do I not know, but there is far more that I do not know that I do not know.
Language is not very good at conveying true meaning. Our interpretation of language is colored, tempered, and twisted by our culture, our family, our friends, and our experiences. When we speak with one another, face to face, we have added cues from intonation and body language. The written word is in more danger of misinterpretation.
When I encounter someone who invites me into a discussion that challenges my beliefs, my world view, my concept of reality, I have to work hard to be open minded and see if I am open enough to really listen. I don't have to agree. I don't have to accept what the other says as being fact. But if I am not listening, I might miss a gem that I need in my life. Therefore I am grateful for discussions that challenge how I see things.

No comments: