Friday, October 16, 2020

Hearse Driving Man

 

Hearse Driving Man

By Mushroom Montoya

 

 

Grief has been sitting in our driveway.
I hear his engine running.
His car's pistons vibrate
In my gut,

 

Shaking tears
Out of my eyes
While I do all I can
To ignore the hearse driving man.


I go and stand outside
Our front room door
Pointing my accusing finger,
Go away.


He lowers his black tinted window
Music flows out to my ears,
Memory, from the musical, Cats
Lets me know
He isn't going anywhere.

 

I send a hammer smashing curse

To slam and squash his cold-hearted hearse
Into tiny, whiney, smithereens.
But it is all to no avail.

 

My hammer is just a useless wish

Making me want to yell and scream
At my inability to make him disappear
And stay away forever.

 

He turns up the volume

On his cursed hearse’s radio
Playing Josh Groban’s
To Where You Are.

 

And then he flings a bloody hatchet

Out of his dark hearse window
Smacking, cutting, and whacking me
In the middle of my chest.

 

I fall to my knees

Begging please,
Oh please!
Go away!

 

I struggle to stand up.

I turn around
And walk inside.
I shut the door.

 

But try as I might,

The door won’t lock
I kick it hard
Exploding a bomb

 

Full of memories of

Me and our son,
He is in my cradling arms.
Me rocking him slowly back to sleep.

 

And then I weep

Seeing his body
Laying the coffin
While bagpipes blaze
Amazing Grace.

 

Grief revs his engine

I hear it backfire,
Knocking me down
Into my own pool of tears.

No comments: