Monday, September 21, 2020

Bibimbap - A Metaphor for Life




This is an excerpt from my book, Köln Letters:
“Bibimbap is a traditional Korean meal,” Tong Ku said. “I take pleasure not only in how it tastes but in how it’s a metaphor for life. The ingredients are placed in an orderly fashion into the bowl. Our parents try to make our lives orderly. They give us our foundation. Over the top of a bed of rice, which represents our daily routine, we add the meat and vegetables. Those are our lessons and our practice. We arrange them fanning out from the center of the rice. The last thing to enter the bowl is the sun in the form of an egg. But, it doesn’t become a meal until you mix it up, taking the sun all the way through, illuminating the meal, so to speak.”
“The egg mixes with everything,” Ani said. “Metaphorically, it gives new meaning to our life’s lessons. When we take the time to see deeper, we become wiser. As we continue to mix and eat the bibimbap, all of its ingredients meld together, in much the same way that all of our life’s experiences meld together and make us who we are.
“That’s pretty good. I can see that,” Thorsten said. “Do you always look at your meals as metaphors?”
“Most things we encounter can be teachers,” Tong Ku said. “We need to shift our awareness away from the ordinary and routine to the hidden messages and lessons that are all around us.”
Thorsten wondered why were they having this conversation and where would it take them. He swallowed a bite of bibimbap. “I see your point,” he said. “I can see why I need to challenge my beliefs when it comes to being a private investigator. I’ve learned that things are not always what they appear to be; therefore I have to be open minded. But I fail to see what that has to do with my religious beliefs.”
A ray of sunshine poked through the trees and illuminated Ani’s hair. “All of our beliefs play their part in shaping our perception of reality,” Ani explained. “If you hold onto religious beliefs that tell you that something is bad, can’t be real or true, then you will put on blinders in the face of evidence to the contrary.”

“Remember what happened to Galileo when he tried to say that the Earth was not the center of the universe,” Tong Ku said.  

You can purchase my book at https://www.amazon.com/Koln-Letters-Mushroom-Montoya/dp/0999074806/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1600750480&sr=1-1



1 comment:

SharonA said...

One of the reasons I enjoyed the book so much, Mushroom, was your detailed description of your thought process, and the thinking of a shaman.