Saturday, January 25, 2020

Mosquito



Mosquito

Humans don’t generally enjoy Mosquitoes. They are bloodsuckers, after all.
Although we may not understand their purpose, they are earthlings with as much right to life as we have.


A mosquito buzzed around my ear when I was at a shamanic council meeting in northern California. I was tempted to smack it against my ear. But I chose to see if I could negotiate a mutual agreement. I relaxed. I shut my eyes and went into a shamanic trance. I told the mosquito that I would not hurt her. I told the mosquito that she could take all the blood she needed. In return, I asked that she tell all the other mosquitos to leave me alone for the weekend. I could feel her sucking up my blood. She flew away and I noticed that my ear did not itch, as it usually does after a mosquito has struck. No other mosquitos bothered me over the weekend. Many of the council members complained about being bitten all weekend long.

Sometimes we just need to remember that all earthlings have a right to life. And we can sometimes negotiate a mutual agreement.




No comments: