Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Our 43rd Anniversary Is August 31st



     During my parents’ 25th wedding anniversary party on June 2, 1973, one of our neighbors, Mrs. Ditzler and I chatted about my being the Navy, the Viet Nam war, and her family. When I told her that I didn’t know who Denise was, she told me to stay put. She left momentarily. I watched her from the front door of our house as she returned with her eldest daughter, Denise. Denise wore a tiny blue mini-skirt that showed off her long beautiful legs. Her bright blue eyes captured me as she walked into the house..

     As the party wound down, I asked Denise if she would like to go for a walk to the park. We held hands as we walked around the duck pond. We found ourselves standing under a tree. I leaned in and gave her kiss.  

     Soon after Denise and I met, she invited me over to her apartment for dinner.  She asked me to follow her to her apartment in Seal Beach.  While waiting for the traffic light at the intersection of 2nd Street and Pacific Coast Highway, I noticed a young man selling roses.  I tried to get his attention.  Since I was on a motorcycle, he appeared to be ignoring me.  When I finally succeeded in getting him to talk to me, I told him that I wanted to buy some roses for my girlfriend.  He asked, “How are you going to carry the roses?”  “I’m not.” I replied with a smile.  “I want you to give the roses to that woman in the car in front of me.”  There was a minivan full of young girls who squealed with excitement as they grinned from ear to ear while watching the encounter.

     On August 31st Denise and I will have completed 43 years of wedded bliss. And it has been mostly blissful. What is our secret? We never stopped playing with each other. And we apologize when we screw up.
      When we married, we became “one.” Therefore what I do to her I do to myself.  I love her.

No comments: