Friday, February 03, 2017

Angry Towel




The towel glared at the second story window, 


Waiting for my face to appear, 


Waiting to show me its anger


Wagging its soggy tail 


in the drizzly morning breeze. 


It shivered all night on the clothesline


While I slept between


soft


dry


sheets.




Quetzalcoatl, Lord of the Dawn, 


Brightened the room


with bright pastels,


Making my eyes smile


as I yawned, breathing in


the new morning.



My feet carried me outside


to greet the morning mist. 


She blew me a dewy kiss 


As she swished a breeze 


to tickled the perpetual climbing rose bush


into giggling. 




The tear soaked towel perched on the clothesline


Waiting impatiently for me to walk by.


It leapt from the line 


And doused me without asking permission. 


“You neglected to address my complaint, 


Or even say hello,” it hissed. 



Sadness jumped onto a breeze


And pounced on me


Completely pushing out


every


sliver


of intent


I had


to do


anything.



"Tis my turn


To play my game,


My way,” the towel blustered.


“Tis time for you


to practice being in pain.


I didn’t want your soggy tears


that sting my fur with death.”



“BUT MY SON IS DEAD,” I cried.



The towel fluttered its tongue at me.


“I refuse to sing a dirge for your son. 


His hands never touched me


Never folded me


And never, ever caressed me.


I didn’t want your soggy tears


that sting my fur with death. 



We are here and he is not,


Nor will he ever be.


“Tis time for you


to practice being in pain.”



 I winced


And wished my tears would pour 


And take the sadness with them.


The dewy mist licked my face 


Contributing the liquid for my tears.



I held the towel in my hands and cried,


“Nor did I


want my soggy tears


to sting your fur with death.”


No comments: