Friday, June 10, 2005

You are only as old as you wish to be

You are only as old as you wish to be. While we were attending a wedding in California, I visited some cousins, who have been married for 73 years. That puts them into their 90s. They are so much younger than so many people that I know. I remember being in the second grade and thinking that the girls who were in the 6th grade were already grown up. I have friends who are flabbergasted when I tell them that Jeremy would have been 35 years old this year. They can't believe I am old enough to have a 35 year old son. I currently look the age of someone who has kids in high school now. When Jeremy was in High school I thought that so many of the high school parents looked so old. I choose to be ageless, not too young and not too old. I choose to be the grandest version of myself. Last weekend I performed a wedding in a beautiful garden South of Tacoma. All generations were present. I conversed and fit in with all. In a manner of speaking, I am no age. Neither are you. Every now and then I see a photo of myself taken in an earlier time and I think, ‘I appear different now.’
I am amazed by how the senior folks are obsessed with not being nor looking like who they are. We have finally become the elders of our society and we run in fear and try to disguise ourselves to look not our rightful part. Why aren't we celebrating our crone aspect? We earned our way here through trials and tribulations, through far too few celebrations of our life's passages. Damn the torpedoes of feared aging. I am going to celebrate the very fact that I am still here and I made it this far, garnering some wisdom along the way. I have learned and earned so much. I have learned and earned compassion. And that has helped to love who I am. I cannot not give what I do not have. I have more than enough love and compassion to share over and over with whomever needs it. I have learned to play games with Celeste and let the dishes wait. My priority is family and friends and nurturing their love and respect. I have learned that what others say about me is none of my business. If I am true to myself, then only what I think of myself is what truly matters. I have learned that crying in public can be a good thing. It gives persmission for others to cry if they need to. I have learned that sharing a smile warms even the coldest hearts. I could go on and on. But you get the point.
I am grateful for all the people who have come into my life. For they have taught me much and given me amazing gifts, some of which they were not aware they were giving.
Now, go out and celebrate your rightful position in society and share the gift of yourself and that wonderful smile of yours.
Love Mushroom

No comments: