Saturday, April 21, 2018

Holding Hands

I am grateful for hands to hold,
And the love that flows
From one hand to the other. 
My spouse and I still hold hands 
When we walk together
Down the street, 
Across a park,
Or along the water's edge at the beach.
Love oozes from her hand as we reach
out to touch each other.
My grandmother's hands were rough
And tough from years of hard work.
And yet, love flowed softly
Out of her hand
And into mine,
Whenever we walked together.
My cousin’s, Tima's, hand was full 
Of 101 years’ worth of loving kindness, 
Hard work and comforting tenderness.
I loved holding her hand at her last birthday party.
I was in awe
Holding our newborn son's hand
With his tiny fingers
And wrinkly palms
On the day he was born.
I held our newly adopted daughter's 
Six year old hand
As I pulled her ahead of me 
Running down the Seoul city street
Connecting our hearts forever.
"Papa," our second daughter said,
After leaving the Siberian orphanage.
Trust and hope
Ran up and over
All of me
From her little six year old hand
Into mine.
My grandkids hold magic
Of love and glee
That they give to me
When they hold my hand.
Several years ago I asked a young woman
To hold my hand as we walked to a meeting
Beyond a grove of green  pine trees.
When we arrived.
She turned to me 
With liquid filled eyes and said,
"I felt like I was holding my father's hand."
I put my hand on a branch of a tree
And we exchange loving kindness
Between it and me. 
I hold my dog's paw when I pick her up. 
She sighs and wags her tail.
I held my dying son's hand
As he lay in the trauma unit.
I cried and tried
To memorize,
To imprint, 
To hold
The feeling, 
The contours, 
The love
And give him life
Before he was gone. 
I am grateful 
That I as able
To hold his hand
And say goodbye.
I am grateful for hands to hold,
And the love that flows
From one hand to the other.

No comments: