Sunday, April 07, 2013

I am grateful for the little opportunities



I am grateful for the little opportunities that allow me to express kindness and at the same time reduce physical pain. Yesterday, a woman, who was standing in front of me, backed up and stepped on my foot. Ouch! It hurt. I was wearing sandals.
The woman turned around, surprised by what she had done. I did not give her time to react before I smiled and said, “Don’t worry about it. I have another foot.” 
My focus changed to bringing humor to the situation. The pain diminished. I gave her the gift of immediate forgiveness. Since there was no blame, there was no need for defense or retaliation. When she apologized, she did so with a smile. We both walked away feeling the light of humor and divinity within us.
I could have focused on my pain, and lashed out in anger, thereby adding emotional fuel to the pain in my foot. That could have extracted anger from the woman who stepped on me. The pain in my foot would not have diminished. At that point we would both be suffering.
I am grateful for little opportunities that give me practice in being the grandest version of myself.

No comments: