Sunday, May 27, 2012

Memorial Day Viet Nam


There is a sadness that oozes through my bones on this Memorial day.
As I look back, teary eyed, to my first day in
Viet Nam, I remember the letter I wrote to my then 17 year old brother, telling him that on that night in July 1972, the Vietnamese mothers of the boys we killed would be crying.

On days like today, we remember the soldiers who gave their lives, and we need to remember also, the mot
hers and fathers who suffer deeply because their children are dead. 

War is not healthy for children and other living things.

I'm glad I was able to call in the courage I needed to file for a discharge as a conscientious objector. I served two tours in
Viet Nam. For as horrible as they were, those tours contributed to my becoming the blessing that I am today.

No comments: